2014年8月30日 星期六

Can we prevent the end of the world?

Email not displaying correctly? View it in your browser
TED
This week on TED.com
August 30, 2014

Martin Rees: Can we prevent the end of the world?

06:52 minutes · TED2014

A post-apocalyptic Earth, emptied of humans, seems like the stuff of science fiction. But in this short, surprising talk, Lord Martin Rees asks us to think about our real existential risks — natural and human-made threats that could wipe out humanity. As a concerned member of the human race, he asks: What’s the worst thing that could possibly happen?

Playlist of the week

A school day, in TED Talks

What if school had been like this? A schedule of talks on math, history, gym, literature, science and art -- plus a lunch break. Watch »

7 talks • Total run time 1:35:10

More from TED.com

Doesn't it seem like a lot of online news channels have moved beyond reporting the news to openly inciting your outrage (and your page views)? News analyst Sally Kohn suggests — don't engage with news that looks like it just wants to make you mad. Instead, give your precious clicks to the news sites you truly trust. Watch »

This talk begins with a personal story of sexual violence that may be difficult to listen to. But that’s the point, says citizen journalist Meera Vijayann: Speaking out on tough, taboo topics is the spark for change. Vijayann uses digital media to speak honestly about her experience of gender violence in her home country of India -- and calls on others to speak out too. Watch »

Across sub-Saharan Africa, small farmers are the bedrock of national and regional economies—unless the weather is unpredictable and their crops fail. The solution is insurance, at a vast, continental scale, and at low cost. Rose Goslinga, a citizen of Kenya, and her team found a new way to give farmers whose crops fail early a second chance at a growing season. Watch »

Which of the following is awesome: your lunch or the Great Pyramid of Giza? Comedian Jill Shargaa sounds a hilarious call for us to save the word "awesome" for things that truly inspire awe. Watch »

dive into ideas.ted.com

How did the zebra get its stripes? Turns out, Alan Turing cracked this code too. Plus: Meet the last of the Hawaiian cowboys.
Watch: Could someone figure out what you looked like from the DNA in a single hair?

 

Quote of the Week

In Bosnia and nearly every other country I've seen where war comes, people don't want to believe it's coming. … They don't leave. They don't get their money out. They stay, because you want to stay in your home."

Janine di Giovanni
Janine di Giovanni: What I saw in the war

Join the Conversation


  "Let us speak up." When we use the words bravery and courage, it is unfortunate that we tend to use these words in a way to almost belittle the voice, but when I say that Meera Vijayann is brave, I mean it from my heart.

I know I can deny all I like that "the gender violence issue in India" is not that bad, as I feel overly protective of my adopted homeland, especially as I find my male friends here most gentlemanly.

Yet am I honest? Or is it how respond to it?

I know I felt power as I publicly slapped a man who tried to grope me when I was a 17 year old gap-year gal -- giving bystanders an opportunity to do something about his behaviour in a crowded Chadni chowk.

But I know that this tactic cannot work for many, many women."

bodies 2.0

Can there be poetry in prosthetics? And how can new limbs -- and new attitudes -- change "dis-abled" people into "super-abled" people? Watch and read on the Huffington Post »
 

沒有留言:

張貼留言

注意:只有此網誌的成員可以留言。